Photo by Sam McNamara on Unsplash
We celebrate our mothers, fathers, and partners, but rarely ever do we take the time to celebrate our best friend. The bond between friends is one that can last a lifetime, and can sometimes be stronger than the bond we have with our partners. Just think about the phases in your life when you were single; yes, you had no partner to live the romance you dream of with, but there was always this true friend who always tries to be there for you, to share your happy and sad moments with you, to support you, and to make you feel that you are never alone. Celebrating International Friendship Day, here is a big thank you to every friend who:
• We enjoy their company and do everything together but would still respect our personal space. The one who would understand if at times we would want to be only by ourselves and wouldn’t take it offensively or personally.
• We cannot wait to share with them all our secrets but would understand if there is something we would like to keep private. The friend who would want to check in and make sure we are fine because this matters more than their curiosity to know this little info we are keeping to ourselves.
• We can be ourselves around without worrying about being judged or criticized. The friend who we feel safe to be so real around, the one we can speak our mind and heart to loudly without feelings of shame or embarrassment because we know they’ll accept us the way we are.
• Will always support every decision but will always guide us through should we ever wander astray. The one who would respect our decisions, won’t force our opinions on us, but would also grab us by the hand if one wrong step has made us stumble and fall.
• Will defend us in our absence. That loyal friend who would not only allow themselves to be part of a gossip circle about us but will also defend us and stand for us when we are not around to do it for ourselves.
• Will never get bored of listening to us. No matter how many times we keep venting about the same issue over and over again, they would listen to us, hug us, and make sure to let us know that everything will be alright because they will always be there.